Monday, July 27, 2009

My Shoes.

I am wearing a pair of shoes.
They are ugly shoes.
Uncomfortable shoes.
I hate my shoes.
Each day I wear them, and each day I wish I had another pair.
Some days my shoes hurt so bad that I do not think I can take another step.
Yet, I continue to wear them.
I get funny looks wearing these shoes.
I can tell in others eyes that they are glad they are my shoes and not theirs.
They never talk about my shoes.
To learn how awful my shoes are might make them uncomfortable.
To truly understand these shoes you must walk in them.
But, once you put them on, you can never take them off.
I now realize that I am not the only one who wears these shoes.
There are many pairs in this world.
Some women ache daily as they try and walk in them.
Some have learned how to walk in them so they don’t hurt quite as much.
Some have worn the shoes so long that days will go by before they think about how much they hurt.
No woman deserves to wear these shoes.
Yet, because of these shoes I am a stronger woman.
These shoes have given me the strength to face anything.
They have made me who I am.
I will forever walk in the shoes of a woman who has(had)a child with cancer.
~Author Unknown

I got this from a friend.... It seems to fit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow what a powerful poem. It certainly tells all for those of you who do walk in those shoes. The sad thing is that people really are afraid to talk to you at times as not to bring up such heart aching feelings and yet you still need to talk and share the memories and the heartache to help with all that hurt and healing that needs to go on with the person wearing those shoes. At first, while I was reading in the beginning I thought you might have some horrible shoes because of your knee, but as I read on I was connecting with what you were talking about. I know you must be hurting terribly inside and I cannot even begin to imagine that feeling. The closest I came to a wrenching feeling inside was when my son at age 30 had a 6 hour heart procedure. It was the longest hours of my life waiting for the doc to come out and tell us he made it through and was doing fine. As I told you before, I happened upon two blogs with the young moms who are suffering as you are. One lost her 5 year old son in May and the other lost her 13 year old son in Nov. Each of you talks about your child with the yearning desire to hold them, see them, and my heart being a mom and a grandmother aches for each of you. I pray that with time that ache will subside and the memories of your children will somehow brighten up your hearts once again. Hopefully you have a friend you can share all of your feelings and she is a good listener and shoulder to cry on because it is too soon for you to be inately happy. It takes a long time and your faith in the Lord will get you through this, not today, nor tomorrow, but someday. Love in Christ, Sandy from MD